Friday, February 24, 2012

Academy Award Predictions


With Sunday bringing the 84th Academy Awards I thought I would go ahead and make my picks today. I have enjoyed watching the oscars for several years now and my whole family gets involved in the selection process. So, here are my picks in all 24 categories with some explainations in certain categories.

Best Picture: The Artist
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin
(This was the most difficult major category for me. I believe that deep down George Clooney will win, but my two most reliable predictors in this category lead me to predict otherwise.)
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer
Best Actress: Viola Davis
(Another difficult category where Meryl Streep could win, but I feel confident in this pick.)
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer
Best Animated Picture: Rango
(I saw this one. It deserves to win.)
Best Art Direction: Hugo
Best Cinematography: The Tree of Life
(I liked the War Horse better, but this movie is good as well.)
Best Costume Design: The Artist
Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius
Best Documentary: Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Best Documentary Short: Saving Face
(These categories are always a coin toss, but it was either this or The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom for me.)
Best Editing: The Artist
Best Foriegn Language Film: A Separation
Best Make-up: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2
(I am going against what I think is what the Oscar voters consider best make-up. Iron Lady is more their style, but Potter deserves one award and this award is it.)
Best Score: The Artist
Best Song: Man or Muppet
(There were only 2 categories, so I have a 50-50 shot.)
Best Animated Short: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Best Short Film: The Shore
(I have also heard a lot of buzz about Raju as well.)
Best Sound Editing: War Horse
(Hugo is also a strong contender.)
Best Sound Mixing: Hugo
Best Visual Effects: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
(Hugo is also a strong container, but this category has to go to the Rise of the Planet of the Apes.)
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Decendants
Best Original Screenplay: Midnight in Paris
(Even though Woody Allen probably will not be there.)

What are your predictions for the Oscars this Sunday? We'll find out how I did this Sunday. Until then, make your picks. Who ya got?

No comments:

Post a Comment